This is such a delicious pie and so great for using up those leftover pieces of turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, herbs and stuffing. Lovely for Boxing Day entertaining.
Turkey & Ham Pie with Sour Cream, Thyme & Chives
- 340 g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 215 g butter
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 3 TBS chilled water
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 30 g butter
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 55 g stuffing or breadcrumbs
- 85 g Gruyere grated
- 55 g cheddar grated
- 30 g parmesan grated
- 450 g turkey, ham & pigs in blankets
- 15 g chives finely chopped
- 5 g thyme leaves
- 150 ml sour cream or double cream
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven 200c/400f/GM6/Aga – Roasting oven.
- Put all pastry ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a dough. It may be crumbly at first but it will come together. Wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge to chill for 30mins.
- Roll the pastry into 2 rectangles, one 28cm x 15cm and the other slightly bigger. Place both on baking sheets lined with baking parchment and chill in the fridge for 20mins.
- After that prick the smaller rectangle all over with a fork, and bake in the preheated oven or Aga roasting oven, top shelf for 10mins. Leave to cool and take the other pastry sheet out of the fridge to soften.
- Soften the shallots in the butter and oil over a low heat for 10mins, and stir every 5mins so that the shallots don't burn.
- Spoon the stuffing over the pastry base, and leave a 1cm border all around the edge.
- Shred the meat and slice the pigs in blankets. Place both in a large bowl and add the chives, thyme, sour cream and beaten eggs, season and mix well. Spoon on top of the stuffing.
- Brush the extra beaten egg all around the edge of the pastry base and place the other pastry sheet on top. Crimp to seal the pastry together and brush all over with beaten egg and place in the fridge for 20mins.
- After that remove from the fridge, glaze with the beaten egg one more time, make a design in the glaze with the back of a knife and bake on the top shelf of the oven or Aga for 15-20mins or until the pastry is golden brown. You may need to turn the pie around in the Aga halfway through so it gets evenly browned.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a serving plate or wooden board. Serve hot or cold.