140g/5oz caster sugar
200g/7oz condensed milk
2TBS golden syrup
1 ¼ tsp Cornish Sea Salt crystals
200g/7oz milk or dark chocolate, melted
Green & Blacks Cocoa Powder
- Line a 27cm x 18cm baking tin with parchment paper.
- Put all caramel ingredients into a saucepan and place over a low heat, stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved and everything is well combined.
- Turn up the heat and boil, whisking or stirring constantly until the caramel gets thicker and darker in colour. This can take up to 10mins.
- Add the sea salt crystals and pour into the lined baking tin. When slightly cooled, place in the fridge for 2 hours to firm up
- Cut into squares using a sharp knife and dip each square into the melted chocolate using a fork or cocktail sticks. Place on some baking parchment and then put back into the fridge to chill.
- When the chocolate has set remove the cocktail sticks if using and patch any holes with melted chocolate.
- Toss in the cocoa and serve at room temperature.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Sometimes it’s easier to score the caramel with a knife when still slightly warm and then cut it with scissors.
- Double dip the caramels, first in milk chocolate, then plain.
- These salted caramels freeze brilliantly and will keep in the freezer for over a month, but always serve at room temperature.
- Either in the fridge or in the freezer, keep the caramels covered in a few tablespoons of Green & Black’s Cocoa Powder.