255g/9oz stoned dates, finely chopped
290ml/½ pt strong, hot tea
110g/4oz butter, softened
170g/6oz caster sugar
225g/8oz self-raising flour, sifted
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
Warm Bushmills Whiskey Sauce
110g/4oz soft light brown sugar
5TBS double cream
3TBS Bushmills Whiskey
1tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 160c fan oven/350f/GM4/Aga-baking oven, 3rd set of runners.
- Oil a ring cake tin really well or line a 23cm/9” cake tin with baking parchment.
- Soak the dates in the hot tea for 20mins.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and then beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the sifted flour.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the date and tea mixture and fold into the rest of the ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven, 30-35mins for the ring cake or 1- 1¼ hrs for the 23cm/9”cake. Place a skewer into the centre of the cake and make sure it comes out clean. Aga-keep an eye and use the cold plain shelf if the cake gets too dark.
- Warm Bushmills Sauce – Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Bring to the boil and thicken slightly for 1min.
- Turn the cake out onto the serving plate, and whilst still warm, drizzle over some sauce and sprinkle a few salt flakes over the top. Serve with cream.