1kg/2.2lbs Maris Piper Potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
110ml/4fl oz milk
85g/3oz chorizo, minced
170g/6oz Brussels sprouts, finely sliced
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20mins.
- Heat a frying pan and cook off the chorizo for 5mins until cooked through and quite crisp, add the Brussels sprouts and cook slightly. Drain through a sieve.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash the potatoes until smooth, push to one side.
- Add the butter and milk. Gently heat together until the butter is melted and slowly stir in the potato. Fold through the chorizo and Brussels sprouts. Cook over a low heat for 5mins.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Always make sure you add warm butter and warm milk to the potato as it makes a lighter, whiter, fluffier mash.
- Always mash the potatoes whilst hot otherwise the starch begins to set in the potato and it makes them more difficult to mash.
- Do not overboil the potatoes as they’ll become too water-logged and result in a sloppy textured mash.
- You could make the mash the day before. Remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Place in a tray lined with baking parchment and cover with foil. Reheat at 180c/350f/GM4/Baking oven of Aga for 20-25mins or until piping hot.