Porcini & Chestnut Sauce
15g/½oz dried porcini
2TBS olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
85g/3oz bacon lardons
55g/2oz plain flour
590ml/1pt game stock
3 thyme sprigs
1 sheet Jus Rol Puff Pastry
1 egg, beaten
- Place the pheasant and duck into a large pot. Cover with water, add chopped carrot, onions, bayleaves and peppercorns.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer on the cooker or in the Aga roasting oven for 1 ½ – 2hrs or until the meat just falls away from the bones.
- Lift the pheasant and duck out of the poaching liquid and when cool enough to handle, take all of the meat from the bones. Reduce the poaching liquid to 590ml/1pt and then pour through a fine strainer to remove any tiny bones, shot or skin.
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f/GM6/Aga-Roasting oven.
- Soak the dried porcini in boiling water for 20mins.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large pan, soften the shallots and garlic, add the celery and lardons and cook for 10mins until nicely golden.
- Strain off the porcini, reserving the liquid for the sauce. Finely slice the porcini and chestnuts and add to the shallot mixture along with the thyme leaves. Set aside
- Make the sauce – Melt the butter and add the flour, stirring over a medium heat until a pale biscuit colour. Pour on the hot stock and porcini liquid, stir and simmer for 10mins until you have a rich, smooth sauce. If you need to add more liquid, add some chicken stock. Stir in the meat and vegetables, Season.
- Pour into one large pie dish or 6 individual dishes, cover with puff pastry, brush with the beaten egg and bake for 20-30mins.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Make the filling up to 2 days in advance and keep in the fridge, you could add in leftover turkey and ham.
- Freeze the pie and then when you want to cook the it, defrost in the fridge overnight and bake at 200c/400f/GM6/Aga-Roasting oven for 20-30mins or until the pastry is golden and the pie hot in the middle. Serve with crisp green beans, drizzled with oil and seasoned.