For this recipe the butternut squash, is oven roasted and caramelised which gives a smooth and delicious depth of flavour to the soup. Finished off with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and parmesan shavings, this really is Autumn & Winter comfort in a bowl.
- 1 butternut squash peeled, deseeded & cut into 2” pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 30 g/1oz butter
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 880 ml/1 ½ pt water
- Extra oil for roasting squash
- Thin shavings of parmesan
- Drizzle of truffle oil
- Serves 8 – 10
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/GM6/Aga-roasting oven.
- Put all of the butternut squash pieces on a roasting tray, drizzle with some of the oil, season and put into the oven to roast for 25mins – 30mins or until the squash is tender.
- Whilst the butternut squash roasts, soften the onions and garlic in a large pan with the butter and 2TBS olive oil. Cover with a lid and cook over a very gentle heat for 15-20mins until the onions are completely soft.
- Spoon the butternut squash into the pan with the onions and garlic, add the water, bring to the boil and the simmer for 15-20mins. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly and then using a blender, liquidiser blend until really smooth.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in bowls, cups or glasses with a tiny drizzle of truffle oil and some parmesan shavings.
Instead of the parmesan and truffle oil you could fry off some bacon lardons and put those on the top with a grating of nutmeg.
Rehydrate some porcini mushrooms according to the packet instructions, fry off in some butter and put those on top with some truffle oil.