Homemade lemon curd is so delicious, so much better than shop-bought. Its zesty, sweet and sharp and perfect on scones, freshly made bread and sandwiched in cakes with fresh cream or buttercream.
- 1 medium sized sterilised jar
- 3 large lemons zest and juice
- 85g butter
- 110g granulated sugar
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- Pour lemon juice, zest, butter, sugar and eggs into a medium saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Stir continually with a wooden spoon or spatula until the mixture thickens. Be careful not to use too high a heat or the eggs will curdle/scramble.
- When the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leaves a clear mark when you draw your finger through, it's ready.
- Pour through a sieve and press with a silicone spatula or non-reactive ladle to get rid of all the eggy strings and get all of the lemon flavour from the zest.
- Pour into the sterilised jar, cover with a wax disc (from Lakeland) and screw the lid on securely.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.