110g/4oz caster sugar
70ml/2½oz golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
110g/4oz milk or plain chocolate, melted
- Oil a baking sheet.
- Place the caster sugar and golden syrup in a deep pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Swirl the pan gently but do not put a spoon in to stir as it could cause the sugar to crystallise and then you won’t get rid of the lumps.
- When dissolved, turn up the heat and boil until the mixture goes a medium caramel colour, like the inside of a crunchy bar. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and whisk in for a few seconds then pour onto the oiled baking sheet.
- Leave at room temperature to get completely cold. Break into shards and dip into the melted chocolate or drizzle the melted chocolate over the honeycomb. Again leave at room temperature to set.
- When chocolate has set, serve!
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Don’t be tempted to touch the honeycomb until it’s completely cold and set, otherwise you’ll disturb the air in it and ruin the consistency as it will be very pliable from the heat. Also you’ll get badly burnt!
- Stir crushed honeycomb through semi frozen ice cream, then freeze until solid and serve.
- Don’t put the honeycomb into a fridge or pantry as the cold air may make it go sticky. Keep at room temperature in a glass kilner jar.