450g/1lb coarse wholemeal flour
30g porridge oats
2tsp soft brown sugar
110g/4oz plain flour
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
300ml/1pot of buttermilk
Porridge oats and sunflower seeds to sprinkle over the top.
Makes 1 loaf
- Preheat the oven to 170c/325f/GM3/Aga-baking oven, grid shelf on the floor.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Mix the wholemeal flour, oats and sugar into a bowl and sieve the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the bowl. Mix well.
- Mix the buttermilk, treacle and Guinness. Add to the dry ingredients and stir well to form a dough.
- Place the dough into the loaf tin and sprinkle over the porridge oats and sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 55mins. If it gets too dark, cover with tinfoil.
- The bread should easily turn out of the tin and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Allow to cool slightly and then turn out on to a wire rack. Serve.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Freezes perfectly.
- Beautiful toasted.
- Great with anything from boiled eggs to smoked salmon to soups to cheddar cheese and strawberry jam.