200g/7oz dark muscovado sugar
6TBS golden syrup
600g/1lb 5oz plain flour
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
4TBS ground ginger
1TBS ground mixed spice
Silver sugar balls
- Preheat oven 180c fan/400f/GM6/Aga baking oven.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Pour the melted mixture over the dry ingredients and mix to form a thick dough. Allow the dough to cool down enough to handle, but don’t let it get too cold otherwise it will be really tricky to roll.
- Roll out the dough to 3mm thick and cut into whatever shapes you like. Use a skewer to make a hole in each shape so you can thread some ribbon through when the snowflakes are baked, cooled and decorated.
- Place on baking sheets lined with baking parchment and bake in the oven for 7-8mins. Aga – middle of the baking oven for 10mins, turning around after 5mins to get even colouring.
- Take out of the oven, re-shape the hole in the gingerbread with the skewer and then leave on the baking sheets for 10mins and then transfer to a wire rack.
- When completely cool, ice, decorate and string with ribbon.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- These last easily for 2weeks.
- Great for little edible gifts.
- I ice my snowflakes the day before they are needed so the icing sets well.