225g/8oz granulated sugar
290ml/ ½ pt water
2 cardamom pods, bruised
1tsp orange blossom water
6 large oranges
1. Use a serrated knife to slice the top and bottom off each orange. Then starting at the top, gently move your knife back and forth, slice down to the bottom of the orange. Remove all zest and pith.
2. Slice each peeled orange into circles and place on your serving dish.
3. Place the sugar and half of the water in a saucepan. Keep over a medium heat so that the sugar dissolves slowly. Do not stir with a spoon, swirl the pan if need-be.
4. When the sugar has all dissolved, turn up the heat and allow the liquid to boil.
5. When a strong caramel colour has been reached pour the remaining water in. (It will spit and hiss like crazy).
6. Now you can stir, dissolving any lumps.
7. Drop the cardamom pods in and when completely cool, add the orange blossom water and pour over the orange slices. Chill well and just before serving remove the cardamom pods and roughly chop the pistachios and scatter over the oranges. Serve with meringues and lightly whipped vanilla cream.