2 aubergines, sliced into 1cm/½” thick rounds
3TBS olive oil
1 tub of buffalo mozzarella, drained
1 large bunch of rocket
30g/1oz pinenuts, toasted in a frying pan or oven for 3mins
Small bunch of mint, leaves roughly chopped
1 green chilli, finely sliced
30g/1oz leaf parsley
1 green chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
½ tsp ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Pinch of sugar or tsp of honey
4 heaped TBS of Yeo Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
pinch of sumac
- Heat a chargrill pan or bbq. Season the aubergine slices and toss in the oil. Chargrill in batches, turning when they are browned and tender. Place in a bowl.
- To make the zhoug yoghurt – put all of the ingredients into a magimix and whizz until smooth.
- Toss the rocket with the aubergine slices, tear the mozzarella over, spoon the zhoug yoghurt over both, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, scatter with the pinenuts, mint leaves and chilli slices & sprinkle with sumac.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Zhoug is a Middle Eastern hot, zingy, spicy sauce and is great mixed with crème fraiche instead of yoghurt and delicious with chicken and meat too.
- Toast the pinenuts either in a frying pan or in the oven 200c or Aga roasting oven for 3mins. If you roast too many just freeze any you don’t use.
- Sumac was used years ago instead of lemons. The sumac bush is native to the Middle East, it has red berries that are dried and crushed to make the spice. Good for colour as well as flavour.