170g/6oz plain flour
55g/2oz icing sugar
2TBS ice cold water
8 large oranges, juiced
Zest of 3 oranges
2 lemons, zest & juice
170g/6oz caster sugar
150ml/ ¼ pt double cream
Zingy Lime Mascarpone Cream
½ tub mascarpone
2 limes, zest & juice
110ml/4fl oz double cream
2TBS icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f/GM4/Aga – Baking oven.
- Make the Pastry – pulse the flour and butter in a magimix until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and pulse. Mix the egg yolks with the cold water and add gradually whilst pulsing until the pastry just comes together. Shape, roll on a floured surface and line the 10″/26cm loose bottomed tart tin. Place the lined tin on a baking sheet and chill until the pastry is really firm.
- Blind bake – oven 180c/350f/GM4/Aga – baking oven floor. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and baking beans. Place on the top shelf of the oven for 12-15mins or floor of the Aga baking oven for 15-20mins. Remove the beans and baking parchment and return to the oven or Aga for a further 5-10mins or until the pastry is completely dry.
- Filling – Boil the orange and lemon juice together until reduced to 200ml/7fl oz. Takes about 20mins. Cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150c/300f/GM3/Aga baking oven.
- Gently stir the sugar, eggs, cream and butter in a bowl and add the juice slowly, stirring constantly so the eggs don’t get too hot. Pour into a saucepan and using a wooden spoon stir over a medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture thickens enough to just coat the back of the spoon. Take off the heat.
- Pour through a sieve and into a bowl, mix with the zest.
- Put the tart case on the oven shelf or Aga baking oven floor and pour the filling into it. Bake for 30-35mins. Use the cold plain shelf on the runners just above the tart in the Aga.
- Cool slightly and blowtorch the top to caramelise it.
- Mix the zingy lime mascarpone cream ingredients together and serve with the tart.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- The whole tart can be made up to 2 days in advance and brought up to room temperature to serve.
- Line the tart case and freeze
- Mix up the filling a few hours in advance and keep at room temperature before baking.