Vanilla Ice Cream
85g/3oz granulated sugar
110ml/4fl oz hot water
1 vanilla pod, cut down the middle
3 egg yolks
290ml/ ½ pt double cream
290ml/ ½ pt full fat milk
1tsp vanilla extract
2TBS icing sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1TBS Creme de Cassis
Serves 6 – 8
- Blackberry Ripple – Put the blackberries, icing sugar, lemon juice and Cassis into a saucepan and mash the blackberrries with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 2mins or so and then press the fruit mixture through a sieve using a plastic spatula or wooden spoon. Allow the puree to cool completely and discard the seeds in the sieve.
- Ice cream – Put the sugar, water and vanilla pod into a saucepan over a medium heat and swirl the pan over the heat to help the sugar dissolve. Once the sugar has dissolved turn up the heat and boil the liquid like crazy for 4-5mins. Remove the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds, add to the liquid and allow to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks and when quite thick pour the sugar syrup in, whisking all the time until the mixture is very thick and doubled in volume.
- Lightly whisk in the double cream, milk and vanilla extract until just combined. Pour into an ice cream machine to churn or if you don’t have an ice cream machine, pour the vanilla mixture into a Tupperware and freeze for 2-3 hours. When almost frozen, whizz in a magimix or whisk to break down the ice crystals. Put back into the Tupperware, and freeze until almost solid.
- Take out of the ice cream machine or Tupperware and ripple through the blackberry puree. I do layer upon layer of ice cream and blackberry puree. Place back in the freezer until completely frozen.
- Remove from the freezer 10-15mins before serving to allow it to be soft enough to scoop.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Don’t throw used vanilla pods away, wash and dry them and add to bottles of vanilla extract or pots of sugar.
- Once you have mastered the vanilla ice cream you can add so many things to it to change the flavour…crushed honeycomb, fruit purees to make ripples, crushed meringues and strawberries…
- This will keep for 2 months in the freezer.
- Take out of the freezer 10-15mins before serving to allow it to be soft enough to scoop.