200g/7oz butter/Stork Margarine
200g/7oz caster sugar
Zest of 3 lemons
85g/3oz Natural Yoghurt
55ml/2fl oz milk
225g/self raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
Juice of 3 lemons
85g/3oz granulated sugar
Lemon Balm & Blackberry Ripple Cream
150ml/¼ pt double cream
2TBS icing sugar
10 lemon balm leaves, chopped
Zest of 1/2 lemon
2TBS mashed blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 170c/150 fan/350f/GM4. Place your oven shelf in the middle of your oven. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment or a tin liner.
- Put the butter/margarine, caster sugar and lemon zest into the Magimix. Whizz for a few minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, giving a short “whizz” in between.
- Add the yoghurt and milk, whizz again.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together, take the lid off the Magimix and sieve again, into the rest of the mixture. Whizz and then pour ½ the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, then scatter ½ the blackberries on top, then pour the remaining cake mixture on top and then the remaining blackberries. The fruit does sink to the bottom because it’s such a light sponge, but it doesn’t affect the end result atall.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Lemon Drizzle – Mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar together in a bowl.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, prick all over with a cocktail stick and spoon the drizzle over bit by bit until it’s all been used. You may need to do it over a space of 15mins or so.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- Lemon Balm & Blackberry RIpple Cream – Whisk the cream just to very soft peak. Using a pestle and mortar make a paste with the the lemon balm leaves, icing sugar and lemon zest or chop together using a knife. Fold through the cream and set aside for an hour to infuse. Fold the mashed blackberries through the infused cream and serve with the cake.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- I always use Yeo Valley yoghurt.
- Lovely with raspberries too.
- The lemon zest is added at the beginning so that the flavour gets really well infused throughout the cake.
- This cake will last beautifully for up to 3 days in an airtight tin.