225g/8oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
3TBS cold water
8TBS apricot jam
Juice of I lemon
110g/4oz caster sugar
110g/4oz ground almonds
1tsp vanilla extract
3TBS plain flour
12 apricots, halved & stones removed
- Preheat oven 200c/400f/GM6/Aga – roasting oven, floor. Use a 12cm x 36cm loose bottomed tart tin or a round 30cm loose bottomed tart tin.
- To make the pastry – pulse the flour, salt and butter in the magimix until the mixture looks like fresh breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk and water well, then add to the magimix still pulsing until the mixture just comes together. Remove, bring together gently and wrap in clingfilm. Place in the fridge for at least 30mins.
- For the frangipane – cream the butter and sugar together in the magimix until pale and soft. Add the egg and whizz again. Tip into a bowl, add the almonds, vanilla extract and flour. Mix until well combined.
- Roll out the pastry and line the tart tin, pressing the pastry right into the fluted edges of the tin. Cut off the excess pastry with a knife and then place the lined tin on a baking sheet. Spoon the frangipane into the case.
- Slice the apricots halves in half and carefully arrange in 15 rows of 3 over the frangipane, then press each piece down gently.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15mins then turn the oven temperature down to 180c/350f/GM4 and cook for a further 25-30mins or until golden and the frangipane is firm to the touch. Aga – place in the baking oven, third set of runners for 30-35mins turning every 15mins so it gets evenly browned.
- For the glaze – boil the jam and lemon juice together, sieve and when slightly cooler brush over the cooled tart. Serve with cream!
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- The pastry can be made in advance, the flan ring lined and frozen.
- The frangipane can be made in advance and frozen.
- This is delicious with pears, cherries, peaches or nectarines.
- A couple of TBS of Calvados drizzled over the finished tart is very good!