White Chocolate & Raspberry Meringues with Vanilla-Rose Cream
Utterly divine little meringues studded with chunks of white chocolate – that almost caramelise in the oven and served with lightly scented vanilla-rose cream and fresh raspberries.
- 4 egg whites
- 225g/ 8oz caster sugar
- 2 tsp freeze dried raspberries
- 8 pieces white chocolate cut into quarters
- red food colouring I use paste
- 290ml/ 1/2pt double cream
- 2 TBS icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste Nielsen Massey
- 1/2-1 tsp rosewater depending on strength
- 140g/ 5oz fresh raspberries
- 2 tsp dried rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 110fan/225f/GM1/2/Aga – Simmering oven.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment or bake-o-glide. Aga – line the cold plain shelf with silicone or baking parchment.
- Whist the egg whites until stiff. Add a large spoon of sugar and whisk until thick and shiny. Gradually whisk in the rest of the sugar spoonful by spoonful, ensuring the mixture is thick and stiff between each addition. Alternatively you can put the egg whites and all of the sugar into the bowl of a free standing mixture and whisk on high for 10mins. It works really well.
- Place spoonfuls of the meringue on to the lined baking sheets (or lined cold plain shelf for the Aga), scatter over 1/4tsp of freeze dried raspberries and using a skewer – lightly marble those and a little food colouring through the meringues.
- Stud pieces of the chocolate into the meringues and place in the oven for 45mins to an hour. The meringues should easily lift off the paper. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in for a few hours or overnight.
- Aga – slide the cold plain shelf onto the lowest set of runners in the simmering oven for 2-21/2 hrs or until the meringues are dry, firm and lift off the paper easily
- Stir together the cream, icing sugar, vanilla paste & 1/2tsp rose water. Taste it and if you would like to add any more rosewater – now is the time but do but be careful as it can be overpowering.
- Whip gently until the cream is just thickened.
- Spoon the cream on to the meringues and top with the fresh raspberries and rose petals. Alternatively place the meringues on a large platter and spoon the cream into a separate bowl so people can help themselves. Scatter with fresh raspberries and dried or fresh rose petals. Serve!
If you are using the “adding the sugar to the egg whites gradually” method, be patient so you get that thick, glossy consistency, if you add too much sugar too quickly the egg whites will go runny and liquid. If you use a free standing mixer and use the “all-in-one” method you don’t need to worry. Put a note on your oven reminding you that there are meringues in there!!! You don’t want to turn the oven on and forget about your beautiful meringues. The meringues will keep for up to 5days in an airtight tin. You can freeze the meringues too, just make sure they are completely airtight. Sprinkling the meringues with dried rose petals before they are served makes them look so pretty, but no problem atall if you don’t have them.