4 racks of pork spare ribs
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 thumb fresh ginger, roughly chopped
½tsp chipotle flakes or dried chillies
8TBS tomato ketchup
8TBS Hoisin Sauce
3TBS Dijon Mustard
4TBS soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 130c/GM2/Aga – Simmering oven.
- For the sauce – Soften the onion and garlic in the oil and butter for 15-20mins. Add the ginger and chipotle flakes, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato ketchup, hoisin, mustard, marmalade and soy sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2mins. Remove from the heat and whizz in a liquidizer until smooth.
- Place the ribs in a baking tray lined with tinfoil and baking parchment. Season and pour the sauce over the ribs. Cover with more baking parchment and foil and cook in the oven for 2hrs.
- After 2hrs, increase the oven temperature to 200c/GM6/Aga – Roasting oven and cook for 30mins or until the ribs are sticky and caramelised.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly and serve.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- The BBQ sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance and can be frozen.
- The ribs can be covered in the sauce and left in the fridge overnight or frozen.
- The ribs can be covered in the sauce, cooked low and slow for 2hrs, allowed to cool and then placed in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before finishing off the following day.