285g/10oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
225g/8oz caster sugar
2 eggs & 2 egg yolks
110g/4oz ground almonds
110g/4oz ground pistachios
2tsp vanilla extract
70g/2 ½oz plain flour
3 braeburn apples
6TBS cold water
8TBS apricot jam
Juice of I lemon
Serves 10 – 12
- Preheat oven 200c/400f/GM6/Aga-roasting oven. Loose bottomed 11”/30cm flan ring.
- To make the pastry – pulse the flour, salt and butter in the magimix until the mixture looks like fresh breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk and water well, then add to the magimix still pulsing until the mixture just comes together. Remove, bring together gently and wrap in clingfilm. Place in the fridge for at least 30mins.
- For the frangipane – cream the butter and sugar together in the magimix until pale and soft. Gradually add the whole eggs and egg yolks. Tip into a bowl, add the almonds, pistachios, vanilla extract and flour. Mix well.
- Line the flan ring with the pastry and spoon the frangipane into the case. Leave in the fridge to firm up.
- Remove the core from each apple, cut in half and then thinly slice.
- Carefully arrange the apple slices over the frangipane, like bicycle spokes and stud the blackberries between.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15mins then turn the oven temperature down to 180c/350f/GM4 and cook for a further 30-35mins or until golden and the frangipane is firm to the touch. Aga – place in the roasting oven, third set of runners for 35-40mins turning every 15mins so it gets evenly browned.
- For the glaze – boil the jam and lemon juice together, sieve and when slightly cooler brush over the cooled tart. Serve with cream.
- Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
The pastry can be made in advance, the flan ring lined and frozen.
The frangipane can be made in advance and frozen.
This is delicious with pears, cherries, peaches or nectarines.
Drizzle 2TBS of Calvados over the tart after baking and before glazing.