Treacle & Linseed Bread
340g/12oz plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
15g/ ½ oz sugar
2TBS black treacle
284ml/ 1 pot buttermilk
Makes 1 loaf
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/GM6/Aga baking oven, grid shelf on floor.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, sugar and linseeds together. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles very fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the treacle, buttermilk and water together with a fork and then add to the mixture to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough into the loaf tin and sprinkle with a few more linseeds.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35mins or the Aga for 35-40mins. Turn the bread out of the tin and tap on the bottom, if it sounds hollow then the bread is ready, if it does not sound hollow then place back in the oven for a few mins.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin and then turn out on to a wire rack.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- If the bread gets too dark, either move it down a shelf in the oven or put some tinfoil over it.
- When baked, wrap the bread in a clean tea towel and place on a cooling rack. This keeps the crust nice and soft.
- Great with cheese, soup, salad, smoked fish or toasted with jam.
- Freezes really well.