200g/7oz soft light brown sugar
284ml pot of buttermilk
500g/1lb 1oz self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
110g/4oz bran flakes
110g/4oz oats or museli
55g/2oz dried apricots, sliced
55g/2oz sunflower seeds
30g/1oz pumpkin seeds
55g/2oz golden linseeds
110g/4oz mixed nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds
- Preheat oven to 200c fan/400f/GM6/AGA-baking oven with cold plain shelf. Line a 42cm x 30cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the butter and allow it to cool a bit before beating in the sugar, buttermilk and egg.
- Sift the self raising flour, baking powder and salt together and then stir in all of the other dried ingredients.
- Pour the cooled liquid into the dry ingredients and mix really well.
- Spoon into the lined baking tin and using a wet palette knife, spread the mixture out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 15mins and then lower the oven temperature to 180c/350/GM4/bottom runner in Aga and bake for another 25mins.
- When golden remove from the oven and allow to cook for about 20mins before turning out of the baking tin and slicing into fingers.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 100c/200f/GM½/Aga – warming oven.
- Spread the fingers out on 2 baking sheets and place in the oven to dry out until crunchy, 2-3hrs.
- Remove from the oven, cool and store in kilner jars or airtight containers.
- Serve with tea or coffee to dunk the rusks in.
Think Ahead & Helpful Hints
- Add whatever dried fruits you like, cranberries, dates, raisins.
- These will keep at their best in an airtight container for 2weeks.
- Perfect for on-the-go breakfasts.